Saturday, February 25, 2023

Dutch 2/4th Infantry Battalion

Moving on with my build of the 2nd German Division, next on the painting table were the 2/4th Dutch. In my previous blog on the Dutch 1/2nd I documented the extensive conversions I used to convert figures from four different sets to create the Dutch brigade. If you would like to read about that along with a bit of a history of the Dutch contingent in the French army during the Peninsular war, you can see that here.

Again I inserted a few figures with fatigue hat head swaps just for variety. I debated with both units whether to attempt painting the battalion number on the front of the shako (it would have been a silver plate number), and opted to do so. I like the result, even if the numbers aren't particularly regular.

One of my oh-so-fuzzy WIP's. All of this command stand are converted Strelet Poles from two different sets. I especially liked the sergeant figure at the rear left with his fatigue cap and neck cloth. I'm not sure why I gave the commander a shako rather than the bicorne he should have had! Oh well...

Again, the online references I used which can be found here:

http://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2014/10/napoleons-german-division-at-talavera.html

For more detailed information on their uniforms see:

https://www.napoleon-series.org/military-info/organization/GermansinSpain/GermanSpainChapter1b.pdf

https://www.napoleon-series.org/military-info/organization/Dutch/c_Suhrholland.html

And here are the finished results for this unit. Next up, the Dutch horse artillery.
Hope you like them!











4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Minor figure alterations give such great variety

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIce painted unit Bill! And some real nice conversions!
    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete