Saturday, July 16, 2022

Regimento de Toledo


Note!! Apologies, all, I just realized I posted these guys last year. They were still in my unposted file. I will leave this up, regardless, as I have better information about them this time.

Just when I think I have quite enough Spanish troops in my cupboard I get tempted into painting another regiment! This time up is the Regimento de Toledo, one of the old line regiments of Spain. These figures are from the HaT sets and always a pleasure to paint with their well-defined detail and good poses.

A bit of History

The Regimento de Toledo was first formed as the Tercio de Vera by D. Diego Fernández on May 1, 1661. It was renamed Tercio de los Azules Viejos in 1693 and in 1707 finally became known as the Regimento de Toledo. Combined with the Rgto Sada y Limburgo in 1715, it was reformed on March 1, 1815 from the Vol. de Rioja (formed in 1810) after being completely destroyed at Badajoz in 1811.

The regiment had an active campaign history during the Peninsular War, losing 400 men at Medina de Rioseco as part of the Army of Galicia in July 1808, going on to fight at Zornoza and Espinosa in the fall of the same year, Tamames in October 1809 and the defence of Cáceres in 1810 before being destroyed at Badajoz in 1811.

Information from Spanish Infantry of the Early Peninsular War by Gerard Cronin and Stephen Summerfield










My grenadier bearskins are again decorated with my homemade decals. You can see my process here in a previous post. I had no reference for the sack embroidery so went with the facing colour of light blue with the coat of arms of the city of Toledo at the top.
Here is a jpeg of my bearskin sack embroidery for download if desired.


10 comments:

  1. Great work, couldn't comment on Beano's due to something/someone blocking me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will if you still have problems please contact me by e-mail.
      Greetings,
      Peter

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Will. I had trouble getting back on after the outage as well (a CAPTCHA glitch) but it was resolved after I reported it.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    So here we go with another fabulous and addictive blog article from Master BS. And on top, you are nice enough to give us the grenadiers decorations! A big thank you.
    On another topic, I share with you another era of interest which is Normandy 44, Canadian and British sector. Have you seen the latest Mars figures ? They are amazing. And do you intend to refight some wargames in Normandy? Have a great weekend. CPN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CPN - kind words. Regarding WWII our plan is to begin in the Mediterranean, fight our way through North Africa, across Sicily and up the Italian boot and then into Normandy. Should take slightly longer than the actual war as we are alternating month by month with Napoleonic battles!! I will certainly check out the Mars figures, thank you for the heads up. I have been pretty buried in Napoleonics these days but have had a small itch to get back to some WWII.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work Bill! Do you have other patterns of that bearskin sack? Really like them!
    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Peter. Besides the ones I posted on the link above for the homemade decals I have done a few others. I will look them up and include them on the decal post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be very kind of you Bill!
      Greetiings
      Peter

      Delete
    2. Hi Peter,
      They are up there now, along with some Spanish flag designs I have pulled together over the years, at the bottom of the page at this link: https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2016/04/homemade-decals-for-spanish-grenadiers.html
      The image is small but if you click on it and magnify it it should be a usable resolution.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Bill I found them and also saved me the link to that blog post!
      Greetings
      Peter

      Delete