Friday, March 11, 2022

Coldstream 2nd Guards

I was back to painting Guards again, this time tackling the Coldstream Second Guards. This would be another big regiment so I elected to represent it with ten stands (two flank companies and eight centre companies). As I had with the 1st Guards redo earlier last year, I elected to go with the larger-sized Italeri British Infantry figures rather than my HaT figures. This involved some conversions, as before, but I was happy with the results.

A bit of history

It’s hard to only have a bit of history for a regiment that dates back to 1650, making it the oldest active British regiment. Although designated the second, this was only because they were on the wrong side of history, backing Parliament during the Civil War, with the Guards raised by Charles during his exile in Bruges became the 1st Guards. 


Originally formed as "Monck's Regiment of Foot", it was renamed "The Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guard" in 1670, named after the location they marched from in helping to restore the monarchy in 1660.


 They fought throughout the Peninsular War as part of the First Division, joining the 1st Guards (already in the Peninsula) in time for the battle of Talavera in 1809. Brigaded with the Scots Guards they formed the second brigade in Sherbrooke’s First Division.


Their light companies saw action at Fuentes d’Orno in 1811 and later that year a composite Guards battalion including three companies of the Coldstream’s 2nd Battalion fought under General Graham at the Battle of Barossa in the attempt to lift the siege of Cadiz.


The Coldstream Guards stayed in the Peninsula throughout the remainder of the war, present at all of the major engagements and finally marching with Wellington’s army into France in 1814.

And here are some pictures of my results:







This was the first time I tried mounting three figures along with a mounted figure, but I figured a Guards regiment deserved a mounted officer. These are the only HaT figures I used, from their British command set.

My reference showed a drummer with a quite elaborate uniform and drum, which I did my best to mimic.




I converted the Italeri sergeants, armed with a swagger stick, to something more martial. This one received a musket.

And the grenadier stand sergeant receives a halberd. I also did some conversion on shakos, with the two centre figures here having their Belgic shakos converted to stovepipe shakos.

And finally a couple of photos showing both Guards regiments, arrayed in line. Not something any enemy wants to encounter on the battlefield!


7 comments:

  1. Cheers, Jonathan. I have finally laid my hands on some more Rifles and Scots, so perhaps I will finish up this division one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Such a beautiful display always gets me wanting to start on some Napoleonic troops again.

    Marvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marvin. Yes, seeing them all together stirs the heart - and the paint.

      Delete
  3. Excellent painted unit Bill!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill,
    Very nice sir, they will certainly focus the mind of any French player facing them and the colour parties look very attractive.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JJ. They were unbeatable in your Corunna scenario (although I was using stand-ins for the Coldstream Guards that game- I always seem to paint the units I need after the battle)!

      Delete