Sunday, January 29, 2023

Allied generals and ADC's


I finally got around to photographing some of the output from my painting table over the past few months. I decided that I needed to add to my officer and staff pool, beginning with the Peninsular Allied officers. First off the block were some Black Watch figures that I purchased almost a year ago.


This captain became an aide de camp, to be attached to the general staff. 


And this Black Watch figure also became an aide. He was originally holding a pistol, an excellent pose but one that, hatless, made him look a bit off on a Spanish command stand. So the pistol got the chop and was replaced by orders, handed off as he dismounts. My ruleset, Over the Hills, doesn't even call for aides de camp but I love the look of them clustered around the commanding officers and we have even written in a few house rules that make use of them.
The horse is from the Italeri French command set.




I moved on to the British, painting up three new senior officer figures, including a replacement for an old Wellesley that I had converted from a Napoleon figure a few years ago. That Wellesley alway looked a bit diminutive so I replaced him with a figure from the Italeri British and Prussian Allied General Staff set that looks a bit like Wellesley, although the sash on the exterior of the coat probably isn't exactly right. For this stand I also wanted to include a couple of aides de camp, a Rifles officer who may or may not be Wellesley's very good fictional friend Richard Sharpe (probably not - much too dapper) and a second Italeri figure that I converted into an aide.
Here are some WIP's of that conversion:


The Italeri light infantry officer on the right was the one I converted to an aide. He received a Franznap head, lost his shoulder wings, gained a pair of epaulettes, tall boots (as that would have been correct for the period), and a repositioned arm holding orders.
His tails were also lengthened...


Here is the finished stand. The paint helps hides my mediocre sculpting!




Next up was this general, handing off a dispatch. The dismounted dispatch officer is a HaT British Peninsular War officer, less his sword and with a repositioned arm and newly sculpted hand. The mounted officer and horse are from the Italeri British and Prussian Allied General Staff set.


 


Finally, I painted up this dismounted officer and his horse, also from the Italeri British and Prussian Allied General Staff set.


2 comments: