Saturday, July 8, 2017

Vistula Legion Infantry

Continuing with my Tudela project I thought I would tackle some Vistula Legion infantry next. The set is the Waterloo 1815 set, 1812/14, which is considerably later than what I was aiming for (1808) but the uniform didn't change radically. And options for these in 1/72 are limited.
I've painted them as Vistula Legion Infantry more or less as their uniform would have appeared in 1808. I'm sure there are some inaccuracies. The figures themselves were a bit limited as they all carried sword and bayonet which would indicate grenadiers, but lacked epaulettes and distinctive houpettes. I opted to paint the majority as fusiliers with a nod to grenadiers and voltigeurs.
The czapka is also probably not right for the period as it appears the Polish in Spain were wearing shakos, but it makes them look distinctively Polish and I can't swear that the drummer would have this uniform at this stage in the war but wanted to give it a try. And finally I removed the generic Polish eagle flag that came with the set and gave it one specific to the Vistula Legion. Given all the inaccuracies and compromises, I'm still pleased with the results!


I based my colour scheme on image 3a.
…and based my drummer on this 1812 reference.


The entire regiment.

In line of battle.

Command stand.

The drummer in his distinctive and possibly anachronistic uniform. Such a small drum, sir!

The figures were nicely detailed, although missing some features like the occasional cuff flap and not overly varied for a box of 36 (8 poses, three of those command group poses).

There were four duplicate command stand figures (flag bearer, officer and drummer) so I liberated a few heads and placed them on the shoulders of my trusty greatcoated HaT French to round up the numbers!

2 comments:

  1. You don't see much painted Polish infantry! You did a fantastic job on them!

    And yes that is a small drum!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete